C/C++ Standard ImGui functionality + 10 examples of Imgui functions

Snow

Apr 14, 2022
ImGui is a powerful and flexible library that provides many features and functionalities for creating user interfaces. Some of the standard ImGui functionality includes:
  1. Window creation and management - Allows for the creation and management of windows in the user interface.
  2. Widgets - Provides a variety of widgets, such as buttons, checkboxes, input fields, and sliders, that can be used to build a user interface.
  3. Layout - Provides tools for organizing and arranging widgets within a window, such as columns, separators, and spacing.
  4. Styling - Allows for customization of the appearance of widgets, windows, and other elements of the user interface, through the use of styles, colors, and fonts.
  5. Input handling - Allows for handling of user input, such as mouse clicks and keyboard input, and responding to them in the user interface.
  6. Drawing - Provides drawing tools for creating custom graphics, such as lines, circles, and rectangles, that can be used to enhance the user interface.
  7. Tooltips - Provides the ability to add tooltips to widgets, giving additional information to the user when hovering over a widget.
  8. Menus and Popups - Allows for the creation of menus and popups, which can be used to provide additional functionality or options in the user interface.
These are just a few examples of the standard functionality provided by ImGui. The library is highly customizable and extensible, allowing developers to create a wide range of user interfaces for a variety of applications.

Here are 10 examples of standard ImGui functionality:

1. Window Creation and Management: Allows for the creation and management of windows in the user interface.

C++:
ImGui::Begin("My Window");
// Window contents here
ImGui::End();

2. Buttons: Provides a variety of button styles, including standard buttons, small buttons, and checkboxes.

C++:
ImGui::Button("Click Me");
ImGui::SmallButton("Small Button");
ImGui::Checkbox("Enable Feature", &enable_feature);

3. Input Fields: Allows for text input fields, including multi-line text boxes and input with input filtering.

C++:
ImGui::InputText("Name", name_buffer, 32);
ImGui::InputTextMultiline("Description", description_buffer, 256);
ImGui::InputFloat("Value", &value, 0.1f, 1.0f, "%.2f");

4. Sliders: Provides sliders for selecting values, including sliders with ranges and logarithmic scales.

C++:
ImGui::SliderInt("Value", &value, 0, 100);
ImGui::SliderFloat("Value", &value, 0.0f, 1.0f);
ImGui::SliderFloat2("Range", range, 0.0f, 1.0f);
ImGui::SliderFloat("Value", &value, 0.0f, 1.0f, "Log %.3f", 1.0f);

5. Combo Boxes: Allows for selection from a list of options.

C++:
static const char* items[] = { "Option 1", "Option 2", "Option 3" };
ImGui::Combo("My Combo", &current_item, items, IM_ARRAYSIZE(items));

6. Tooltips: Provides the ability to add tooltips to widgets, giving additional information to the user when hovering over a widget.

C++:
ImGui::SameLine(); ImGui::TextDisabled("(?)");
if (ImGui::IsItemHovered())
    ImGui::SetTooltip("Help text goes here");

7. Menus: Allows for the creation of menus and submenus.

C++:
if (ImGui::BeginMenu("My Menu")) {
    ImGui::MenuItem("Option 1");
    ImGui::MenuItem("Option 2");
    ImGui::EndMenu();
}

8. Drag and Drop: Provides drag and drop functionality for moving data between widgets.

C++:
if (ImGui::BeginDragDropSource()) {
    ImGui::SetDragDropPayload("MY_DATA_TYPE", data, sizeof(data));
    ImGui::Text("Drag me");
    ImGui::EndDragDropSource();
}
if (ImGui::BeginDragDropTarget()) {
    if (const ImGuiPayload* payload = ImGui::AcceptDragDropPayload("MY_DATA_TYPE")) {
        const char* dropped_data = static_cast<const char*>(payload->Data);
        // Handle dropped data here
    }
    ImGui::EndDragDropTarget();
}

9. Colors:
Provides a color picker widget for selecting colors, as well as tools for color manipulation.

C++:
ImGui::ColorEdit3("My Color", color);
ImGui::ColorPicker4("My Color", color, ImGuiColorEditFlags_PickerHueWheel);
ImGui::Text("HSV: (%.2f, %.2f, %.2f)", hue, saturation, value);

10. Styling: Allows for customization of the appearance of widgets, windows, and other elements of the user interface, through the use of styles, colors, and fonts.

C++:
ImGuiStyle& style = ImGui::GetStyle();
style.Colors[ImGuiCol_Button] = ImVec4(0.8f, 0.4f, 0.1f, 1.